Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Golden Age Illustrators of My Chilhood



Where are you beautiful books of my childhood??? I have lost you long time ago, but today I got  a glimpse of you. I want you all back. I can only hope that somebody in Romania will think of reprinting these beautifully illustrated books in a deluxe edition. And sure they did at Arthur Retro! Great initiative on their part, I didn't think it was possible. Such a nice surprise.

Some of my childhood books are really works of art, illustrated by some of the most wonderful talented Romanian illustrators: Val Munteanu, Iacob Desideriu, Livia Rusz, Romeo Voinescu, Done Stan, Eugen Taru, Doina Botez, Roni Noel, Angi Petrescu Tiparescu.
I have tried to find their websites, but there are few to be found. Where are you most talented people? Most of their illustrations can only be found in dusty and dog eared books, overlooked by their young owners, myself included, too unripened to appreciate preserving them. These books deserve to be reprinted and saved from obscurity!

Pinocchio - illustrated by Val Munteanu

I have seen other editions, but none so beautifully rendered as this one. A true gem.






Gulliver's travels- illustrated by Iacob Desideriu

These are the best Gulliver illustrations I have seen so far. The green and carmine hues are amazing. 



Golden tales- Povesti de aur- by Livia Rusz

This was the first book I read in my life.


The adventures of Ulysses - Peripetiile lui Ulise - illustrated by Romeo Voinescu

This book evokes so many wonderful memories of learning about greek mythology and dieties






No comments:

Post a Comment

Just So Hobbies

01 09 10 01 09 10